My weekly meal plan called for a crock pot chili. However, it was 4pm and my husband and I had yet to start the crock pot. Enter the 30 minute chili. I had no idea how this would turn out, but it was perfect. My toddler had 2 servings. My favorite part was how flavorful this turned out without using any added salt. And with only two pots used, the clean up is relatively easy!
2 tbsp olive oil
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1/2 onion chopped
2 15 oz cans diced or chopped tomatoes
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp each: coriander, cumin, onion powder, turmeric
1/2-1 cup low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1.5 cups quinoa, cooked
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron pot or large dutch oven
- Sauté chopped onion, stirring frequently, for about 4-5 minutes, until onion begins to brown
- Add all ingredients, except quinoa, and simmer for about 20-25 minutes
- While chili is simmering, cook quinoa according to package directions
- Add quinoa to chili and enjoy with your favorite toppings like greek yogurt, avocado or shredded cheese
Fun tip: Have leftovers? Freeze them to enjoy later on. My favorite way to freeze is to pour into an ice cube tray and once frozen, empty tray into a large ziploc bag. Label the bag with the name of the dish and the date. Store for 2-3 months.