Last week, my husband was out of town. I'm not sure if any of you can relate, but mornings can be stressful: getting both kids ready for school/ babysitter, making sure lunches are made, bags are back, and getting myself ready for work. Anything I can do to make the mornings go a bit smoother is helpful. I decided I wanted to have breakfast prepared prior to the morning. We had been through all the standard breakfasts that week: cereal, frozen waffles, smoothies, and eggs. I had a few sweet potatoes on hand, so these sweet potato cookies were born. "Cookies" are one of my go-to baked snacks. We call them cookies, but most of the time, they don't really resemble a traditional cookie. I decided to sweeten these with a touch of maple syrup and unsweetened coconut. Please let me know if you try them and what you think!
Sweet Potato Coconut Breakfast Cookies
- 2 small sweet potato peeled, steamed, and mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup teff flour (or any other flour you have on hand, I like teff for it's additional nutritional benefits)
- sprinkle cinnamon
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional, for added sweetness)
- 1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl
- Spoon about 1 tbsp onto greased cookie sheet and flatten slightly with a fork
- Bake about 10-12 minutes, or cooked through
- Enjoy for breakfast, or any other time throughout the day !