We have been making a lot of meatballs in our house these days. They are so easy for baby (10 months) to pick up and eat, and my 3-year old has been enjoying them as well. I love to get some vegetables in my meatballs (but note, I never "trick" my older daughter, she knows they are in there). We had some kale lying around and what better way to add in extra nutrients. I made these in my Instant Pot but they would work baked as well. Enjoy!
Kale and Beef Meatballs
- 1 small bunch kale, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef (we used 85% lean, 15% fat)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seed mixed with 3 tbsp water, let sit for 10 minutes) or 1 egg
- Mix all above ingredients in a bowl.
- Using your hands, form into 1" balls.
- Instant Pot: place meatballs in the Instant Pot on top of 2 cups tomato sauce or place meatballs on steam rack with at least 1 cup liquid below (stewed tomatoes or water). Make sure vent is sealed. Set on low pressure for 10 minutes and let meatballs manually release.
- Baking in oven: set oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and bake 15-20 minutes, until cooked through. Serve with tomato sauce, if desired.