This recipe was inspired by my 3-year old daughter's wonderful preschool teacher. She is so sweet, and often brings extra of whatever she has in her lunch to share. She told me she shared some meatballs and broccoli with my daughter, who loved it, so I decided to recreate meatballs similar to her description, loaded with veggies, that my 7 month infant could eat too. These were on the blander side, but neither of my girls seemed to mind. They were very easy and are interchangale with other vegetables you may have on hand. We are mainly following a baby-led weaning approach to feeding (although, I really call it baby-led feeding). Most meatball recipes are baked or fried, which creates a crispier shell. I love making meatballs in the Instant Pot, as it creates a nice soft, meatball, which are perfect for a baby-led weaning approach. And as meatballs go, this recipe is super easy. I hope you enjoy!
Chicken and Vegetable Instant Pot Meatballs
- 2 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1 cup shredded veggies (I used my vitamix to shred pretty finely and used carrot and broccoli)
- 1 egg or flax egg (to make a flax egg add 1 tbsp flax seed into 3 tbsp water and let sit 15 minutes)
- 1/2 breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic and herb or italian seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Mix together chicken, veggies, egg, breadcrumbs and 1/2 tsp cumin until mixed well and everything is incorporated
- Pour tomatoes onto bottom of Instant Pot, add spices (and any other spices you desire) and mix well
- Add trivet to Instant Pot and place on top of tomatoes
- Roll meatballs to about 1 inch diameter and place on trivit
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes and natural release
- Serve to baby with a bit of mashed tomato and enjoy!