This recipe is so easy! I hadn't been grocery shopping in over a week, so I needed something I could make quickly and easily (no nap for my toddler means a super early bedtime). If I had some veggies on hand, like carrots, celery or red peppers, I might have chopped them up and sautéed them in the Instant Pot as the first step in this recipe.
This recipe was inspired by a recent trip to Trader Joe's. My toddler sampled the vegetarian frozen curry and loved it (she ate three servings, yes, I am that mom who let's my kid have multiple samples). She has not been an adventurous eater lately, so I was excited by her newfound love of curry. Low and behold, she ate this dish I prepared and loved it. Until she asked me for yellow rice and I couldn't provide this so she had a major meltdown. Can any other parents of 3 year olds relate? Enjoy! Maybe with a glass or two of wine.
- 1.5 cups red lentils, rinsed and sorted through
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz can chopped or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground corriander
- 1 tsp tumeric
- a dash (or more) chili powder, depending on how you like your spice
- 1/2-1 cup full fat canned coconut milk (for creaminess)
- cooked brown rice, quinoa or your favorite grain (I used a bag of frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's for the ease of it)
- Add lentils, chick peas, tomatoes and water to Instant Pot
- Add spices and mix well
- Put lid on pot, switch valve to sealed and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes
- Allow natural pressure release for about 8-10 minutes
- Remove lid once pressure fully released and add coconut milk
- That's it! Enjoy with your favorite grain. Freeze leftovers!